Roku has been on the list of leading global digital media player brands for the last decade. Millions of fans are using this brand worldwide.
But it is facing criticism because of frustrating bugs found in its devices. Such as the Roku remote volume not working.
What to do when you encounter Roku remote not working problem? If you also face this issue, give this article a thorough read. You will find simple ways to fix this problem.
Solutions To Fix If Roku Remote Volume Not Working
Some solutions are listed to fix the Roku remote not working issue. Try to follow them one by one to get the problem fixed.
- Clean Your Volume Buttons They May Be Stuck
- Press Buttons Randomly
- Replace the Batteries
- Disable Private Listening
- Try to Sync Roku Remote Again
1. Clean Your Volume Buttons They May Be Stuck
Sometimes, the problem might be due to hardware such as the body of the remote. The buttons get dirty if you have used the remote for several years.
And the volume buttons stop working. For instance, old remotes face this problem. Volume buttons get stuck, and upon pressing, they do not work.
Check the remote buttons carefully. Are they free from dirt?
Your remote needs to be cleaned up fully to eliminate this issue. For this purpose, get a cleaner and remove all the dirt on your remote.
Use any paper clip to remove all the residue stuck in the small spaces between buttons. Then press the volume buttons again and again. Make sure the buttons are not stuck and try to control the tv using the remote.
Using a protective case for your Roku remote is also a good option. It will prevent it from the dirt that can enter easily without a protective case.
2. Press Buttons Randomly
This trick sounds strange, but it works. Many people have the habit of watching tv while eating. When they do so, they press remote buttons with oily fingers. And oil or that liquid content enters the buttons and causes their malfunction.
To fix this, remove the batteries from your Roku remote, and press every button for 2 to 3 seconds. Having done this with all buttons, now press buttons randomly. Repeat this procedure many times.
You have to carry it out several times in a row. This solution will work for sure. Now, put the batteries back in the remote, and try if it is working now. If the still problem persists, then move toward the next solution.
3. Replace the Batteries
Changing the batteries solves the Roku remote not working issue. Check if the batteries in your remote are too old, have died, or are about to die.
They will fail to give the remote required current to its circuit. And this will lead causing the improper function of the Roku remote.
Replacing your Roku remote batteries will make it function properly again. Here is how you can replace the batteries of your remote:
- Open the back cover, and remote out batteries from the remote.
- Now, put a new set of batteries in the battery compartment. Be careful that you are using the correct polarities while putting them. Even new batteries will not work if the polarity is wrong.
- Close the back cover, and check if the remote is working fine.
- If not, try the TV’s original remote to control its volume. And then check again if the Roku remote has started to work.
4. Disable Private Listening
Are you using the private listening feature on your Roku? It might be the cause of blocking Roku remote volume buttons, which will not work properly.
Your mobile phone receives the sounds using the private listening feature. Hence your tv remote will not be able to control the sound.
To solve this bug, turn off the private listening feature on your Roku.
To do so, follow these steps:
- Install the Roku app on your iPhone or Android device, and go to devices.
- Wait for the device to connect if it is not connected yet.
- Go to the remote icon on the Roku device you are using.
- Hit the headphones button to enable or disable the Private listening feature.
- If the icon has the green light, it shows that it is enabled. Toggle off to disable the private listening feature.
5. Try to Sync Roku Remote Again
You can try another trick to fix the Roku remote to control the volume button. Try syncing the remote to your Roku tv again. For that purpose, you have to unpair the Roku remote first, then repair it by the given steps below:
To pair the Roku IR remote, follow the given process:
- Plug Roku into the TV and power socket.
- Press the source on your tv or tv remote and select HDMI.
- Insert batteries into the Roku remote.
- Now press any button on your tv remote. This will pair the IR remote with your tv automatically.
To pair Roku Enhanced remote, go for the following steps
- Remove batteries from the remote.
- Now plug out the power cable from Roku, wait for 5 seconds, and reconnect it.
- When the Roku home screen is displayed on the TV, insert the batteries again.
- Now press and hold the pairing button inside the battery compartment. Hold it for three to five seconds or until you see the pairing light starts flashing.
- It may take 30 seconds for the remote to complete the repair process.
- You will receive a remote pairing message on the screen when the process is completed.
Is Your Roku Volume Still Not Working? Try Fixing Sound-Related Issues
If you are still there and facing the Roku volume not working issue. Then it may be due to any sound-related issue. To sort it out, try the given methods to fix the bug.
- Change A/V Port
- Change the Old Cables
- Reset The Roku
- Turn Off Your Surround Sound
- Change HDMI Port
- Adjust Sound Settings
1. Change the A/V port
AV input is a common label on a connector. It is responsible for receiving AV (audio/visual) signals from electronic equipment. The signals generate AV signals (AV output).
These terminals are found on such equipment as a television, DVD recorder, or VHS recorder. They typically take input from a DVD player, a TV tuner, a VHS recorder, or a camcorder.
If an external A/V system is being used to generate sound from Roku, check the A/V port to see if there is any error. Also, go for the verification of the system whether it is working and connected to the cables. If you observe any damage in the system, it is better to replace it.
2. Change the Old Cables
There is another possibility that causes Roku remote not to work. That is, old or faulty cables are being used. They are also sensitive to the usual wear and tear.
These cables have particular pins that break when their time is over.
So, for this, you should have another cable and try it. If the issue is resolved, the connector may have the problem.
The plus point of these cables is that they are cheap and easily available. So, if none of the above fixes works, give it a try and see whether the problem is resolved or not.
3. Reset the Roku
If none of the above solutions works, then it is time for a factory reset option for your Roku device.
To do a factory reset of your Roku device from device settings, go to take the following steps.
- First, go to press the home button on your Roku remote.
- Now select the settings menu by scrolling up or down.
- Search for the system menu, and select advanced system settings below it.
- Now, go to the factory reset menu and select factory reset everything.
- There will be some instructions displayed on the screen. Follow them to complete the reset.
Roku devices can also be reset using the hardware. For this, press the reset button given on the back or at the bottom of your Roku device.
It can also be in a tactile button form, which you can press with the help of your finger, or a pinhole button. You will need a paper clip for this.
To reset the Roku device, press and hold the reset button for 10 to 15 seconds. You will observe an indicator light flashing quickly. It indicates that you have successfully done a factory reset on your Roku device.
4. Turn Off Your Surround Sound
Do the sound in your surroundings disturb the volume while watching the tv? You can get rid of it by turning that off or modifying it.
To turn off your sound surround, go with the following steps:
- Go to Roku settings from the home page.
- Click audio.
- Now change the audio mode to stereo.
- Change HDMI to PCM-stereo.
Now, check the volume by the volume control button. Increase or decrease it to observe whether it works well.
5. Change HDMI Port
HDMI connections are two-way digital connections that can carry audio and video.
Like any other digital connection, the HDMI channel also can experience some congestion. It usually happens when it has much activity that is going on.
This may be the reason that is causing troubles in your Roku audio. For this, you can remove the Roku device from its current HDMI port and try to plug it into a different port. That may solve your problem.
If you plug the HDMI cable into a different port, you make it easier for the traffic to pass through it. Hence, fixing the audio issue.
If changing the HDMI port does not solve the issue, it can indicate that your tv has a problem with itself.
6. Adjust Sound Settings
Check HDMI inputs and cables. If you are watching tv and if it doesn’t fix the issue, you might have incorrectly configured the Roku device.
If you select the wrong output channel, it may cause the Roku device to have no audio.
Fortunately, you can fix this easily.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote.
- Search for the settings menu by scrolling up and down and selecting it.
- Go to select the audio menu under it.
- Set the HDMI and S/PDIF options to Dolby D (Dolby Digital).
Wrapping up all this, you can try the above solutions to fix your Roku remote not working issue. Also, the most common and the simplest of all, you should try to unplug your Roku from power and plug it in back.
This fixes the issue until your Roku remote has no serious problem. If it persists, you should give try the solutions explained above.