If you are looking to thaw chicken, you should know that defrosting chicken is essential to consuming healthy food. There are a lot of dangers that are associated with eating the wrong type of chicken.
If you want to have a healthy chicken in your diet, scroll down with patience and keep on reading.
Importance of Thawing The Chicken Properly
You must appropriately handle the chicken. Foodborne illness is one of the most common ways to get sick, and raw chicken is a straightforward way for bacteria growth to increase. Not only can most of these bacteria get us sick, but in the worst case, they could also cause us to die.
Proper thawing practices and cooking chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit will considerably reduce your risks.
How to Thaw Chicken
There are plenty of ways by which people can thaw their frozen chicken, but not all of them are safe. While the secure methods might seem slow to work with, you shouldn’t play with your life. So, make sure to follow the guidelines properly for each technique.
Use A Microwave
While this is the quickest method, make sure to remember that the chicken must be cooked after you thaw it using a microwave. This is because defrosting in a microwave stimulates the growth of bacteria.
In addition, it is essential to remember the following points when you use the microwave:
- Thaw only small amounts in the refrigerator. Too much will cause the microwave to be overloaded since they usually come with weight speculation.
- Place the chicken in a microwave-safe container or bowl. Any other type of container will cause the container to break or get damaged due to the microwave property of the ovens.
- Clean the microwave after using it.
Use Cold Water
Using cold water to thaw the meat is one of the oldest and most traditional ways to soften the meat. This method usually takes two to three hours for the chicken to defrost, depending on the amount you are defrosting. To use this method, follow the following steps
- Place the chicken in a leak-proof plastic bag or air-tight container. This will stop the water from damaging the meat tissue and any bacteria from infecting the food.
- Fill a large bowl with water and submerge the bag of chicken till it is covered completely.
- Change out the water every 30 minutes, and make sure to change the orientation of the chicken as well.
This method takes the longest time, but I still highly recommend it. Note that if you are thinking of using this method, you might need to plan ahead of time since the chicken will take about a day to defrost. Once you have thawed the chicken, you can even store the chicken for 2-3 days.
With this, you should be clear on how to defrost chicken most healthily. Always be mindful of your safety when you are going to cook defrosted chicken. It is vital to defrost chicken in a way that is safe for you and your family.
You can also read: How Long to Thaw a Frozen Turkey