Vizio is a popular yet economical brand in the smart TV segment. If you need a budget smart TV, Vizio will be among the most affordable choices in the market.
However, Vizio smart TVs do not run on Android OS, which is becoming the mainstream TVOS now. The lack of Android OS does put some restraint on the number of apps available for Vizio Smart TVs.
Vizio Smart TVs offer a lot of methods using which you can install apps. If you’re wondering how to add an App to a VIZIO Smart TV, worry no more. We will list out all the possible methods to install and run apps on the Vizio Smart TVs.
Moreover, you will learn about all the supported apps available for Vizio Smart TVs. Without further ado, let’s jump into this detailed post about adding apps to your Vizio Smart TV.
Vizio TV types and features availability
There are three broad varieties of Vizio Smart TVs that support apps via one method or another.
VIZIO VIA & VIA Plus TVs
These smart TVs were released from 2013 to 2017. These models allow direct app installations on the TV storage. Vizio has a dedicated app store called Vizio Connected TV Store that hosts apps. Users can only install the apps available for their TV models from this store.
VIZIO SmartCast HD TVs
These smart TVs were launched from 2016 to 2017. The primary feature is that these TVs support screen casting. These TVs do not support app installations and there is no way to access the Vizio Connected TV Store.
VIZIO SmartCast 4K UHD TVs
These smart TVs strike a balance between apps and screencasting. This 4K UHD TV range from 2018 onwards doesn’t allow you to install apps. You have to make do with the limited number of apps pre-installed on the TV. Moreover, you can screencast the apps that aren’t available for the TV.
5 Easy Methods On How to Add an App to a VIZIO Smart TV
- Install Apps using the Vizio Internet Apps (Plus) platform
- Use Android Device to Cast Apps on Vizio TVs
- Screencasting from a Laptop to Vizio TV
- Screensharing on Vizio TVs using iPhones/iPads
- Using Chromecast with Google TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick
1. Install Apps using the Vizio Internet Apps (Plus) platform
Vizio Internet Apps (Plus) platform is an app store that offers multiple TV and movie apps. To add apps to your Vizio TV using Vizio Internet Apps (Plus) platform, do as follows:
- Find the home button or V button on your Vizio Smart TV Remote. In some models, it will be a big button with the initials V on it.
- Press and hold the button for a few seconds and it will open the home launcher.
- From here, you will see My Apps, Featured, Latest, All Apps, and Categories. These are the list of apps that the TV launcher curates for you.
- Browse through the categories tabs or search for an app that comes to your mind. If it is available for the Vizio Smart TV, you will see it in the search results.
- Now, hold the home button to add the app to your TV home screen.
2. Use Android Device to Cast Apps on Vizio TVs
You can use your Android phone or tablet to cast an app on the Vizio Smart TV. It is fairly simple and doesn’t need to install any app on the TV.
- Connect your Vizio Smart TV to Wi-Fi. Make sure that your phone or tablet is also on the same Wi-Fi network. Otherwise, screencasting will not work.
- Open any app that you wish to screencast on your Vizio smart TV. You will see the universal screencast icon when you play something in the app.
- Tap on the icon on your mobile device and it will display all the available devices for screen casting.
- Select your Vizio Smart Tv from the list and cast your mobile screen to your TV.
3. Screencasting from a Laptop to Vizio TV
If you have a Windows laptop that supports screencast, you can cast the laptop screen content. This is a handy trick as you can access the web versions of all popular TV, movies, and web series. Moreover, you can also cast personal videos saved on the laptop.
- There are two ways to cast anything from your Windows laptop. You can use the cast option in the notification area or use the cast option in Google Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome and click the kebab-menu button(three vertical dots) to open more settings.
- Find the cast option in the menu and select it.
- The new pop-up window will search for devices. Select your Vizio Smart TV to cast.
- Note: Chrome will only cast a single tab on your TV. So, open any website of your choice and stream content from it to your TV.
4. Screensharing on Vizio TVs using iPhones/iPads
SmartCast platform also has the iOS AirPlay 2 capabilities. If you want to cast an app using your iPhone or iPad, do as follows:
- First of all, connect your Vizio SmartCast TV to your home Wi-Fi. Remember that your iPhone and TV need to be on the same network.
- Now, open/download the app you want to cast to the Vizio SmartCast TV.
- Find the AirPlay icon in the app and tap on it.
- Locate your Vizio TV from the list of available devices and select it.
- Now, your iPhone will cast the app on your TV.
- Similarly, you can even view photos and videos stored on your iPhone on your TV.
5. Using Chromecast with Google TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick
If your Vizio smart TV is very old and has limited apps, you can consider using a streaming device. Chromecast with Google TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick are the two popular choices.
You can even go for Roku and other similar budget streaming devices. The biggest advantage is that you can install the latest apps on these streaming devices.
Let’s assume that you have a Vizio Smart TV with a limited app library or just the SmartCast feature. You can attach a streaming device to the HDMI port and expand your digital viewing options.
These streaming devices even have screencasting support which is good if you own the old TVs. Thus, a streaming device will be a perfect add-on to revive your old TV. Moreover, you can experience apps that aren’t available for Vizio TV. All that at a minor 30-50 USD expense.
These were the 5 easy methods to add apps to your Vizio Smart TV. Adding apps is only possible if the TV belongs to the older generation lineup.
Newer ones only have SmartCast and in-built app options. So, you can use those, or get a streaming device as per your budget and convert it into a smart TV. Thus, you can cast Netflix, HULU, Prime Video, and Disney + TV shows over a wifi network.