Dow Is On Your Side with Energy Savings
Flashing / Detailing
Above Grade Walls
There are many ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home from the inside, but there are a couple of exterior renovations that we did on the Revitalize Home that deliver real results.
- Insulate above grade walls while residing
- Insulate foundation walls
Insulating Above Grade Walls While Residing
Residing is a great opportunity to increase a home’s value with a fresh, new look. It’s also the perfect time to increase energy efficiency and overall comfort with durable STYROFOAM™ Brand Insulation that:
- Maintains thermal performance – up to R-5.0 per inch to pay back initial investment fast
- Provides an even, level surface for new siding
- Resists moisture
- Serves as a drainage plane
As the table below shows, using thicker insulation provides a faster payback!
As part of any residing project, it’s also important to include:
- WEATHERMATE™ Flashing to safeguard against unwanted air and moisture intrusion around doors and windows
- WEATHERMATE™ Construction Tape to apply over joints and seams to enhance building envelope resistance to moisture and air intrusion
Insulating Foundation Walls
In addition to energy loss that leads to higher energy bills, uninsulated exterior walls can result in condensation on cool basement wall surfaces. It’s a good idea to insulate the exterior foundation to keep basement walls warm and reduce the potential for moisture problems that can lead to mold and mildew.
STYROFOAM™ Brand PERIMATE™ Insulation was installed around the Revitalize Home exterior foundation to provide a continuous layer of thermal protection. Its grooves assist water drainage away from the foundation, providing your walls with:
- Long-term thermal performance
- Exceptional moisture resistance
- Added compressive strength to resist soil and hydrostatic pressures
More information on Exterior projects is available in downloadable format.